Politics within Pakistan team threatening Misbah`s authority as captain
Karachi: The Pakistan Cricket Board`s (PCB) decision to appoint two captains has put Misbah-ul-Haq`s authority in One-Day Internationals (ODIs) under threat.
"Misbah has started to feel the heat and the grouping within the team has led to its poor performance. It seems that Hafeez, despite being nominated for Twenty20 captaincy by Misbah, is working towards ODI captaincy too and Misbah has realised that," reported a source.
Prior to the Sri Lankan tour, the PCB had appointed Mohammad Hafeez as the Twenty20 captain as well as Misbah`s deputy in ODIs and Tests.
Pakistan has been performing poorly in the ODI series and shocked all after losing seven wickets for just 13 runs during their chase in the 4th match. The performance of Hafeez, Umar Akmal, Shahid Afridi and Younus Khan has been below par too.
A PCB official said that head coach Dav Whatmore, surprisingly, is in the mix as well, having overturned some of Misbah`s decisions, including the continuous selection of Akmal.
"Misbah grew frustrated with Akmal`s poor show and wanted to drop him but Whatmore decided against that. Whatmore used his power to retain Akmal," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video