Politics within Pakistan team threatening Misbah`s authority as captain
Karachi: The Pakistan Cricket Board`s (PCB) decision to appoint two captains has put Misbah-ul-Haq`s authority in One-Day Internationals (ODIs) under threat.
"Misbah has started to feel the heat and the grouping within the team has led to its poor performance. It seems that Hafeez, despite being nominated for Twenty20 captaincy by Misbah, is working towards ODI captaincy too and Misbah has realised that," reported a source.
Prior to the Sri Lankan tour, the PCB had appointed Mohammad Hafeez as the Twenty20 captain as well as Misbah`s deputy in ODIs and Tests.
Pakistan has been performing poorly in the ODI series and shocked all after losing seven wickets for just 13 runs during their chase in the 4th match. The performance of Hafeez, Umar Akmal, Shahid Afridi and Younus Khan has been below par too.
A PCB official said that head coach Dav Whatmore, surprisingly, is in the mix as well, having overturned some of Misbah`s decisions, including the continuous selection of Akmal.
"Misbah grew frustrated with Akmal`s poor show and wanted to drop him but Whatmore decided against that. Whatmore used his power to retain Akmal," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city