Ponting admits being shocked at Hussey`s international retirement decision
Sydney: Former Australian skipper Ricky Ponting has admitted that, while Michael Hussey`s international retirement shocked him, he didn`t know whether he`d have batted on for Australia had he been aware of his friend`s plan. The retirements of both Ponting and Hussey before the tours to India and England, represented a loss of vast experience and knowledge from the Australian team, although he said it presented a number of players with the opportunity to stamp their authority on the team, reports the Sydney Morning Herald.
He said he didn`t think Michael would retire until after the Ashes series (was played in Australia) because he was batting well. He added that it is now Phil Hughes, Usman Khawaja, Shane Watson and Dave Warner`s turn, and that they would now have to stand up and take over the role as the senior batsmen. One player Ponting expected to be considered for the Ashes tour was his Tasmanian team mate Alex Doolan, a player in which he`d invested a lot of time and faith. Ponting said Doolan is very good, adding that whenever he went back to Tassie and watched him play or bat in the nets, he could tell Doolan had a bit of class. He has a bit of time on his side and he can move on the field too, he added. Ponting also admitted he`d needed to wean himself off cricket since he stored his baggy green cap away.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves