Ponting awarded `Honorary Life Membership` of `illustrious` MCC
Johannesburg: Former Australian captain Ricky Ponting was reportedly awarded with life membership of the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) as a tribute to his illustrious career.
Ponting, who had retired from all forms of cricket in October last year, had established himself as one of the best batsmen in the history of the sport by scoring over 26, 000 runs in all forms of the game and averaging 51.85 in 168 Test matches.
According to Sport24, Ponting, who hit 41 Test centuries and won three World Cups with Australia, is the 33rd Australian to receive the honour, joining the likes of Dennis Lillee, Allan Border and Glenn McGrath on a coveted list of former international cricketers.
Ponting was presented with his membership pass and tie during a recent visit to Lord`s, the world-famous London ground owned by MCC and regarded as the home of cricket.
Expressing his gratitude at receiving the honour, Ponting said that as he devoted his life to playing cricket so it feels great to be recognised by a club as proud as MCC, adding that to be able to sit amongst MCC members and watch a Test match is a great honour for him.
Honorary Life Membership is awarded by the MCC Committee to individuals in recognition of the service they have given to the cricket and projects surrounding the game, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31