Ponting can surpass Waugh’s mark as most-capped Oz Test cricketer
Melbourne: Former skipper Ricky Ponting could break Steve Waugh’s mark as Australia’s most-capped Test cricketer in front of his home fans in Hobart after the international summer schedule was announced.
If Ponting plays the three Tests to open the summer against South Africa in November, the scene will be set for him to create Australian cricket history at Bellerive Oval in the first match of another three-Test series against Sri Lanka.
Ponting currently sits on 165 Tests, just three shy of the record mark of 168 set by Waugh, his predecessor as captain, news.com.au reports.
The Gabba will host its first Test against South Africa in 49 years when world heavyweights the Proteas start their campaign in Brisbane on November 9.
South Africa beat Australia 2-1 when they last toured in 2008-09, and drew 1-1 with Michael Clarke`s team when they met in a dramatic two-match series last year in Cape Town and Johannesburg.
Sri Lanka begin their first Test visit to Australia since 2007 in Hobart on December 18.
Then Melbourne will host the Boxing Day Test and Sydney the New Year`s Test to wrap up the series, as Sri Lanka looks to break through for a maiden five-day win Down Under.
The summer will feature 43 days of international cricket plus three tour matches against South Africa, Sri Lanka and the West Indies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA