Ponting has left a "mighty stamp" with his fighting hundred
Former England skipper Michael Atherton on Friday waxed eloquence on Ricky Ponting, saying the Australian captain has left a "mighty stamp" with his fighting hundred in his team`s quarterfinal loss to India in the World Cup.
"This was the reply of one of the greatest competitors of the modern game and if this is to be his last appearance in a World Cup then he leaves a mighty stamp," Atherton said.
After a string of failures with the bat in the quadrennial extravaganza, Ponting was under immense pressure to perform prior to the India match, but answered his critics with a knock that held Australia`s innings together at the Sardar Patel Stadium in Ahmedabad yesterday.
"With a brilliant, `raging against the dying of the light` hundred, Ponting did more than anybody yesterday to hold on to the trophy Australia have cradled for the past dozen years, but ultimately his team was not good enough," he said.
Atherton was particularly pleased with the way Ponting handled the pressure, with rumours of him losing favour with Cricket Australia running thick and fast Down Under.
"What an innings the Australia captain played. As well as being short of form, there were rumours from Down Under that he had lost the support of Cricket Australia and all kinds of petty nonsense -- involving dressing-room tantrums, the bawling out of a team-mate on the field and, incredibly, criticism for not walking -- meant that he came into this match under severe personal pressure."
While Ponting`s dream of winning a fourth World Cup medal is over, Atherton said prospects of Sachin Tendulkar lifting the elusive trophy brightened after India`s five-wicket victory over the four-time World Cup winners.
"Ricky Ponting`s dream of a fourth winner`s medal is over; for Sachin Tendulkar, a first is still very much on the cards. Only two matches stand between him and what millions in this country believe to be his destiny in Mumbai a week tomorrow," Atherton wrote in `The Australian`.
Atherton felt Australia lacked a good slow bowler, someone who could use the conditions to the hilt.
The presence of a quality spinner, Atherton said, could have made things difficult for India after Mahendra Singh Dhoni`s dismissal at 187 for five.
"With the dismissal of Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who looks as if the time spent filming numerous television commercials has come at the expense of his batting form, India were wobbling at 5-187, chasing 261.”
"A good, experienced slow bowler might have helped to wrap things up for Australia in very helpful conditions, but Jason Krejza, Australia`s solitary frontline spinner, had a poor match and the only wicket to fall to spin came off a rank full toss from David Hussey, a part-time off-break bowler."
The former England opener said that unless Australia find a genuine wicket-taking spinner, they would struggle to regain their aura.
"What many thought to be their Achilles` heel came to haunt them. A pitch -- dry and dusty -- that was tailored for India`s spinners nullified Australia`s pace attack and highlighted once again that they are unlikely to be a serious force until they find a wicket-taking spinner.”
"In truth, as well as lacking a good spinner, Australia`s batting has looked suspect throughout and other than a half-century from Brad Haddin there was precious little support for Ponting," he said.
Yuvraj Singh and Suresh Raina made the chase look easy in the end with their fluent batting but, according to Atherton, the atmosphere was tense till Yuvraj hit the winning run.
"Ultimately, India cantered over the finish line, by five wickets and with 14 balls to spare, but they and millions of onlookers would testify to the tension and closeness of the game.”
"Yuvraj, who often in the past has given the impression of someone who would shy away from, rather than revel in, a taut finish, played majestically in company with Raina. Gradually, India`s challenge is looking more and more serious.”
Atherton said off-spinner R Ashwin`s inclusion has added variety to the Indian attack.
"Ravichandran Ashwin is a good addition to the bowling attack -- adding variety, a fierce competitive streak and an ability to bowl in the powerplay overs -- while Raina`s presence alongside Kohli has increased their athleticism in the field."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked