Ponting, Hussey may tour England for Ashes series in 2013
Adelaide: Australia’s selectors chairman John Inverarity has said Ricky Ponting may now tour England next year at the age of 38.
Ponting scored his second century in a fortnight, 137 not out on the opening day of the fourth Test in Adelaide.
Ponting’s future was discussed after a dreadful Test against New Zealand in Hobart last month, the first loss to New Zealand in Australia for 26 years, as his century drought extended to two years.
“To say there was no doubt wouldn`t be telling the truth,” Inverarity said of Ponting`s career continuing.
“We wanted him to feel very comfortable with the new selection panel and that was conveyed to him. He’s got a few runs and regained his confidence and just recently he`s played really well,” he said.
Inverarity claimed that Ponting and Hussey may both be on the 2013 tour to England despite them being 38 when it takes place during the middle of next year.
“The answer to that is yes they can. It depends how well they play. It’s up to us to pick the best available and they`re the best available. There are not three or four players who are putting immense pressure on Ponting and Hussey,” Inverarity told Summer of Cricket.
“We`re after the best we can get and all possibilities are open. Both might go to the Ashes, it could be neither goes, it could be one or the other. All options are open. We haven`t taken any options off the table and we look forward to younger batsmen pressing their claims with outstanding performances,” he added.
The last two Australians who played until 38 were Steve Waugh in 2004 and Allan Border in 1994, The Daily telegraph reports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH