Ponting is elephant in the room, says Cairns
Sydney: Former New Zealand captain Chris Cairns called Australian great Ricky Ponting the "elephant in the room" and said Cricket Australia (CA) needs to end his 16-year Test career.
The legendary all-rounder feels that Ponting`s retirement is the best way forward for Australian cricket.
"I don`t think you can have two years averaging 27 as a No.3. I think it`s his (Ponting) time. And when you look at the likes of Mark Taylor, (Ian) Healy, Mark Waugh - they were told it was their time. And there`s an elephant in the room at the moment in Ricky Ponting that nobody is really addressing," Cairns was quoted as saying by the Sydney Morning Herald.
Cairns feels Ponting should retire after the second Test against New Zealand in Hobart.
"Don`t get me wrong, I`ve got the utmost respect for Ricky Ponting but there`s a time and a place. And for me, his time and place is Hobart in the second Test against New Zealand. That`s to say, `Thanks very much`," he said.
Cairns said Australian selectors needed to make the hard call on the soon-to-be 37-year-old.
"Australia for me was an uncompromising cricket nation, but I`ve felt there`s been decisions they make that have been compromising (in) the last couple of years. They`ve allowed Ricky to keep going because of his stature in the game and who he is," Cairns said.
"But why should he have to make the call? At the end of the day, for me, Australia has always been about the team and what`s best. He is behind Bradman, Australia`s greatest batsman, so they`re managing it. But I just think it`s an elephant in the room. I really do. Australia has got rebuilding to do," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Islamic State bombings in southern Yemen kill 38
- UK pensions minister Crabb considering bid to succeed PM Cameron: Report
- Special panel on India's NSG membership bid? We're not aware, says China
- Ruby Rai, Bihar Class 12 topper now under arrest for cheating, says she never wanted to top the exam
- Euro 2016: Iceland stun England in one of greatest ever shocks