Ponting is elephant in the room, says Cairns
Sydney: Former New Zealand captain Chris Cairns called Australian great Ricky Ponting the "elephant in the room" and said Cricket Australia (CA) needs to end his 16-year Test career.
The legendary all-rounder feels that Ponting`s retirement is the best way forward for Australian cricket.
"I don`t think you can have two years averaging 27 as a No.3. I think it`s his (Ponting) time. And when you look at the likes of Mark Taylor, (Ian) Healy, Mark Waugh - they were told it was their time. And there`s an elephant in the room at the moment in Ricky Ponting that nobody is really addressing," Cairns was quoted as saying by the Sydney Morning Herald.
Cairns feels Ponting should retire after the second Test against New Zealand in Hobart.
"Don`t get me wrong, I`ve got the utmost respect for Ricky Ponting but there`s a time and a place. And for me, his time and place is Hobart in the second Test against New Zealand. That`s to say, `Thanks very much`," he said.
Cairns said Australian selectors needed to make the hard call on the soon-to-be 37-year-old.
"Australia for me was an uncompromising cricket nation, but I`ve felt there`s been decisions they make that have been compromising (in) the last couple of years. They`ve allowed Ricky to keep going because of his stature in the game and who he is," Cairns said.
"But why should he have to make the call? At the end of the day, for me, Australia has always been about the team and what`s best. He is behind Bradman, Australia`s greatest batsman, so they`re managing it. But I just think it`s an elephant in the room. I really do. Australia has got rebuilding to do," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof