Ponting is the man to lead Oz to an Ashes victory
Sydney: Australia’s most successful fast bowler Glenn McGrath has backed Ricky Ponting as the man to lead Australia to an Ashes victory, and ridiculed critics of the team’s bowling attack as “hypocritical.”
McGrath further said that his old skipper Ponting was the perfect person to lead Australia’s revival, and described the recent criticism of Ponting as misguided.
Former England skipper Michael Vaughan claimed Australia’s bowling attack lacked an “X factor”, and even suggested the bowlers could ultimately be responsible for Ponting losing his captaincy.
“It makes you laugh, doesn’t it? They were [once] saying we were too arrogant; you can’t win either way,” McGrath said.
“It just amazes me … when the Australian team was too strong, No.1 in the world, it was bad for world cricket, bad for this and bad for that but now because all of a sudden they’ve lost a few games, Australia is now accused of hurting cricket because the team isn’t strong enough.
“I think it’s ridiculous. Before Australia lost to Pakistan in England, they’d won 13 in a row … the players know they’re good enough and with one or two wins under their belts, they’ll be OK,” The Sydney Morning Herald quoted McGrath, as saying.
McGrath, who retired in 2007 after taking 563 Test wickets, gave Ponting’s attack his famous thumbs-up signal when asked for his thoughts on their ability to take the fight to England and chance of winning the series 5-0.
“I was away on holiday when Australia played over in India but I have total faith in our boys. The Test series will be played on our wickets and guys like Mitchell Johnson, Doug Bollinger, Peter Siddle, Ben Hilfenhaus and Ryan Harris will do great. I know what they can do and I am confident they’ll do it,” he told The Sun-Herald.
McGrath said Siddle must again assume the role of the attack’s enforcer after being away for almost a year because of injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview