Ponting or Hussey in line to be axed from India series: Border
Melbourne: Selectors might be forced to axe Ricky Ponting or Mike Hussey from the Australian cricket team for the upcoming four Tests against India after their dismal show in the just-concluded series with New Zealand, feels former captain Allan Border.
"I think one of the old boys will go," Border said in an interview.
"I think Hussey or Ponting will go," he added.
While Hussey`s dip in form is recent, Ponting has been without a Test hundred for almost two years now and former Australian players feel the ex-captain is creating a tough situation for himself by not stepping down voluntarily.
"He`s a great of the game, he`s been fantastic for Australian cricket," spin legend Shane Warne said.
"Now you`ve got the situation where he`s not performing. So now everyone`s going to talk. It`s going to annoy Ricky, it`s going to annoy the team ... it is just the worst scenario possible when he decided to play on.”
"I want Punter to get runs but when you see him getting out like this, it`s just disappointing. I think we`ve got to say `what are you going to do?`"
The view was echoed by former pacer Damien Fleming.
"Without putting a time limit on your career, you leave yourself open to this," former Australia paceman Damien Fleming said.
"If he said he wanted to play the summer six months ago I reckon the selectors would have gone with that. But he`s said before the Hobart Test that he wants to continue on. Well, his figures are making it really hard for him to get a game," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues