Ponting says he`s not ready to retire
Sydney: Former captain Ricky Ponting says he`ll quit test cricket before he`s dropped from the Australian team, but is not considering retirement at the moment.
The 36-year-old veteran of 156 tests told reporters today "I totally understand why I`m being asked the questions I`m being asked but, by the same token, I believe I`m good enough, one, to be in the team and that I`m good enough to win games for Australia.
He said if he keeps doing the work he is doing and not getting the results, "then maybe it`s time but, at the moment, I don`t feel that time is here just yet."
Ponting made 62 in the second innings of Australia`s second test against South Africa this week to contribute to its series-levelling win and end a long form drought which had led to calls for his retirement.
He said he took heart from the examples of India`s Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid who`s longevity showed he could still expect to perform at Test level.
"I feel there`s enough there to want to keep working hard," Ponting said. "Having spoken to a lot of the other guys that have retired in the last few years, I was captain when Langer, Gilchrist, Warne and all those guys stood down, so I know the things that were going through their minds.”
"What they said about it was they just didn`t have the drive or desire to work as hard as they needed to work to get their games back on track again. With me, there`s no doubting that at all."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum