Ponting was a treat to watch: Yuvraj
Kolkata: Describing Australian great Ricky Ponting, who retired from international cricket, as his favourite, India batsman Yuvraj Singh Monday said he was amazed by the attitude of the lion-hearted player.
"Sad Ricky Ponting has retired! But was amazed with his attitude on the field… a lion hearted player! Specially the way he fielded," tweeted Yuvraj, who is in the city along with the Indian team for the Test match against England at the Eden Gardens beginning Wednesday.
Ponting left the game as Australia`s all-time leading Test batsman Monday after the final Test match against South Africa in Perth, the very place where he made his Test debut in 1995.
"One of my fav(ourite) and greats of the game has retired! So long punter (Ponting) u were a treat to watch. Last big motive for younger guys would be the Ponting innings of 140 in the world cup final (2003) against India (that) took the game away from us," read Yuvraj`s twitter post.
Ponting hung his boots after playing 168 Test matches, scoring 13,378 runs at an average of 51.85 with a highest of 257. He also scored 41 centuries and 62 half-centuries. In One-Day Internationals (ODI), the former Australia skipper played 375 matches scoring 13,704 runs, including 30 centuries with a highest score of 164.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu