Poonam, Mithali guide India to victory
Leicestershire: Valuable knocks by Poonam Raut (51) and captain Mithali Raj (43 not out) helped Indian women register a comfortable nine-wicket victory over Ireland in their one-off ODI, which was reduced to 20-over-a-side game, at the Haslegrave Ground, Loughborough.
Electing to field, Indian women managed to restrict Ireland to 107 for six in 20 overs and then chased down the target with 20 balls to spare, losing just one wicket in the process.
Ireland opener Cecelia Joyce scored 35 off 45 balls, adding 67 runs for the second wicket with her twin sister Isobel Joyce (32 off 36 balls) before off-spinner Archana Das dismissed both of them to trigger a collapse.
Ireland lost five wickets for just 21 runs.
Chasing a modest target, India lost opener Amita Sharma (7) early. However, there were hardly any hiccups after that.
Poonam struck 50-ball 51, studded with six hits to the fence, and was ably supported by Mithali, who scored an unbeaten 43 in 44 balls as the duo went on to put an unbeaten century stand to seal the victory in the 17th over.
India will next take on England in two T20 Internationals and five one-dayers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way