Postponing Test Championship is a shame: Chappell
Melbourne: Former India coach Greg Chappell has slammed the ICC for postponing the proposed Test Championship from 2013 to 2015, saying the decision is a "shame" as the event needs to be held as soon as possible to save the longer format of the game.
"I like the concept, I`m sorry that it has been postponed because I think it is a fabulous concept and one which I would endorse and I think Test cricket would benefit from it," Chappell told a website after launching his autobiography `Fierce Focus`.
"It is a shame it isn`t going ahead, the sooner it can happen the better, as far as I`m concerned," he added.
Chappell said having an event like that would bring back the spectators to the five-day matches.
"It is one thing to have a ranking system, but to have a final set-up would be good for Test cricket. It elevates the brand of Test cricket and that can`t be a bad thing," he said.
"I just think to have a finals series like that every four years would just heighten the interest and also make each series also meaning something extra as well," he added.
Earlier, South Africa`s Test captain Graeme Smith had said that the postponement of the event was "not the right decision for cricket".
"Australia can play England in the Ashes, but if you know that the series also could be the difference between qualifying for the finals series and not would add a bit to it," he had stated.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged