Powell rues career-best did not earn Windies a win
Perth: Opener Kieran Powell said he was disappointed at not being able to deliver a victory for the West Indies in the second One-Day International against Australia here.
The left-hander carved out a career-best 83 off 90 balls in a 126-run, fourth-wicket stand with Dwayne Bravo (45) but the West Indies, chasing 267 for victory, faltered for 212 off 38.1 overs, to slip to a 54-run defeat at the WACA Ground on Sunday.
"We lost early wickets and we decided we would back ourselves to go for our shots if the ball was in our zone but other than that we would grind it out. It paid off for a bit but we weren`t able to go all the way and win," Powell lamented.
"After the hard graft earlier on, I knew I would get the chance to play my shots and I went for it as the ball was coming onto the bat well. I felt I played well, but I was disappointed I could not take the team to victory - that is the most important thing when you`re playing for your country, you want to be on the winning side."
Powell struck ten fours and two sixes - both effortless leg-side strokes - in an entertaining innings that kept the West Indies in the hunt after they had plummeted to 33 for three in the eighth over.
The knock was his second half-century in three innings on what is his first tour Down Under, and he said the series was already proving valuable from a personal standpoint.
"Overall, I would have to say it has given me the confidence I needed," he explained.
"I have been trying to crack One-Day cricket and this tour is teaching me a lot about the limited-overs version of the game. I have been successful in Test cricket last year and now I`m learning about One-Day cricket."
Powell will return to Canberra for Wednesday`s third One-Day International at Manuka Oval, where he hammered 92 in the lone tour game last week.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!