‘Power-packed’ Proteas’ pacers wary of Aussie openers Warner, Cowan
Sydney: South Africa’s batting lineup might dwarf Australia’s statistically, but the Proteas`` world class pace bowling attack is wary of Australian openers Dave Warner and Ed Cowan.
It comes despite Cowan and Warner, Australia’s opening duo, having yet to truly cement their spots in the Test team, and who have served as potential threat to look out for by the Proteas squad.
Dale Steyn in particular has strong memories of an explosive T20 innings from Warner in 2009, when the pocket rocket flayed the attack to all parts of the MCG for a sparkling 89.
“I’ve tried to put that out of my memory. He hits the ball hard, doesn’t he? He came out of the blocks blazing that day. I’ve played a couple of Twenty20 games against him since, and he still hits the ball hard,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Steyn, as saying.
“And now he’s playing in a Test match, he’s just come out to torment me more. He’s a good player. Not anybody can go out there and do what he does. Obviously playing here in Australia, he’d be even more psyched about that. We’ll have our hands full, that’s for sure,” he added.
Steyn hinted the key to rattling Warner’s cage was to play mind games with some subtle sledges, but stopped short of saying Warner and Cowan were on shaky ground in the Australian lineup.
"I just hope that (Warner) gets himself out more through his head. I can probably bowl a couple more bad balls if that’s the case," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened