PPL can help PCB get countries to tour Pakistan: Lorgat
Karachi: Former CEO of ICC Haroon Lorgat believes that the proposed Pakistan Premier League T20 event can be a big stepping stone for the return of international teams to Pakistan.
Speaking to the media at the Gaddafi stadium on Thursday, Lorgat felt the key to making the premier league a success was the participation of international players.
"I think it will be a big stepping stone if international players come to play in the league. That will give confidence to players that cricket is played and can be played in a secure venue there is no reason why they can`t convince their boards to tour as national teams," Lorgat said.
Lorgat`s appearance at the PCB headquarters came as a surprise for the media as like in the case of the former England coach, Peter Moores on Wednesday, the board had made no prior announcements about the former ICC official`s visit.
After meeting with the PCB Chairman, Zaka Ashraf, chief operating officer, Subhan Ahmad, director-general cricket, Javed Miandad and other key officials to discuss the league, Lorgat told the media that he could see the PCB is determined to have it early next year.
"There is lot of planning and detail to be done. Lots of work to be done but I can see there is a lot of energy will and determination to get this league off the ground," he said.
Lorgat stopped over in Lahore on way to Sri Lanka where the board has signed him on as a advisor and consultant.
Ashraf said that Lorgat had always been a great friend of Pakistan and it was a great day for Pakistan cricket that he had decided to stop in Lahore.
"He has come to Pakistan on our invitation to discuss matters of significance. These days our focus is on organizing premier league in Pakistan we thought that there is no better person than Haroon to guide us on various organizational aspects of the league. We sought his views and advice and are thankful to him for guiding us on number of matters."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened