Praveen Kumar “not in mental frame to play”?
New Delhi: Indian pacer Praveen Kumar, who has been involved in a few brawls on the ground, has been reported again for offensive behaviour during a corporate trophy match between ONGC and Income Tax played on February 4.
The incident occurred in the 48th over when Praveen made an insulting gesture and also used violent physical contact against Ajitesh Argal.
Umpires Ajit S Datar and Kamlesh Sharma have charged him with ‘Code of Conduct’ violation under clause 2.2.8. According to a report in DNA, the umpires have given a detailed report of the incident in a letter to the BCCI and the match referee.
“He (Kumar) shouted, ‘M******** tu batting kar, umpiring maat kar (you just bat, don’t have to be an umpire)’.”
“When ordered to stop it, he repeated, ‘Woh m******** batting kyon nahin karta (why doesn’t he simply bat?)’”
“After bowling the first ball, Praveen Kumar advanced aggressively towards the striker and made violent physical contact with him, head-butting and chest-butting the striker.”
They have suggested that a hundred per cent penalty be imposed on him as per the BCCI guidelines, with a warning that he should not “indulge in such acts in future”.
More damning is a written note to KVP Rao, the Indian cricket board’s game development manager.
The umpires have gone on record as saying that Praveen “is not in a mental frame to play the game”. Furthermore, they claim that his own teammates have deserted him.
According to the letter, “He is very aggressive and gets hostile with little trigger. He is very abusive and passes very filthy comments to his own team mates, opponents and even to the spectators.
During the first match also (ONGC vs CAG on February 1), he had some spat with the spectators at Raipur. It was informed to me by the other match referee Mr Prakash Bhatt. Even his own teammates are keeping some distance from him.”
Two years ago, during India’s tour of the West Indies, he had scrapped with a spectator in Port of Spain. In 2008 also, he was involved in a fracas in Meerut, his home town, and had allegedly thrashed a doctor.
In the 2011 series in England, he had reacted angrily to fans’ gibes in a tour game against Northants.
The mercurial medium pacer, once a find because of his whippy action and cocked wrist, has fallen out of favour with the selectors. Sadly, his off-field demeanour has been undermining the talent that’s gradually losing way.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues