Prior `uncomfortable` at being named England`s `player of the year`
London: English wicketkeeper Matt Prior has confessed that he felt uncomfortable at being singled out as the player of the year for the 2012-13 season. Prior`s top-performing year included a match-saving performance for England against the Black Caps in Auckland in March to deny New Zealand a series victory on home soil as his unbeaten knock of 110 helped secure an unlikely draw, the Guardian reports.
Claiming that England`s success over the past year has been a collective effort instead of solely depending on him, Prior, who will play his 11th Test at Lord`s this week, said that although he is honoured to receive the tag but felt uncomfortable about it because he enjoys playing to win instead for the purpose of receiving individual accolades.
On his performance in Auckland, Prior said that he has received all the accolades just because he happened to play at the end of the game, adding that along with him, Ian Bell`s innings and Stuart Broad`s performance had also done a lot in saving the game for their team.
Modest about his performance during the past year, Prior further said that there is a lot of quality in the squad, adding that James Anderson`s seam bowling and Alastair Cook`s leadership in India were part of the reason behind the team`s success.
Katherine Brunt won the women`s award for a third time after taking 12 wickets in England`s ICC Women`s World Cup campaign in India, while Ben Foakes was named development programme player of the year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan