Promising Yadav needs a bit of experience: Lawson
Melbourne: Young India pacer Umesh Yadav is very promising and his "old-fashioned side-on" style of bowling will fetch him more wickets in future once he gathers a bit of experience, believes former Australian fast bowler Geoff Lawson.
Yadav was the pick of Indian bowlers as he returned with a three-wicket haul scalping David Warner, Shaun Marsh and Ricky Ponting in the first two sessions on the opening day of the first cricket Test against Australia on Monday.
"He`s a very side-on, old-fashioned fast bowler. That`s why he bowls fast and bowls out-swingers," Lawson told `The Australian`.
"He reminds me of (South African) Vernon Philander only that he bowls quicker than Vernon. But they both get the seam up and bowl out-swingers and Yadav`s doing it at 145, 148 (km/h) sometimes. So if you can do that then you are going to get a lot of good players out."
The 54-year-old former Pakistan coach feels Yadav could have scalped more wickets if a proper field was in place for the tearaway pacer who touched the 150km/h mark today.
"He`s only a young guy. A good, strong guy. So he`s quite promising. He just needs to get a bit more experience behind him," Lawson observed.
"And they`ve got to learn to set some proper fields for him on Australian wickets. Which means a few more behind the wickets on the off side.
"That`s probably cost him 30 runs today. Through third man, through third slip. But other than that he`s bowled delightfully well," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand