Promising Yadav needs a bit of experience: Lawson
Melbourne: Young India pacer Umesh Yadav is very promising and his "old-fashioned side-on" style of bowling will fetch him more wickets in future once he gathers a bit of experience, believes former Australian fast bowler Geoff Lawson.
Yadav was the pick of Indian bowlers as he returned with a three-wicket haul scalping David Warner, Shaun Marsh and Ricky Ponting in the first two sessions on the opening day of the first cricket Test against Australia on Monday.
"He`s a very side-on, old-fashioned fast bowler. That`s why he bowls fast and bowls out-swingers," Lawson told `The Australian`.
"He reminds me of (South African) Vernon Philander only that he bowls quicker than Vernon. But they both get the seam up and bowl out-swingers and Yadav`s doing it at 145, 148 (km/h) sometimes. So if you can do that then you are going to get a lot of good players out."
The 54-year-old former Pakistan coach feels Yadav could have scalped more wickets if a proper field was in place for the tearaway pacer who touched the 150km/h mark today.
"He`s only a young guy. A good, strong guy. So he`s quite promising. He just needs to get a bit more experience behind him," Lawson observed.
"And they`ve got to learn to set some proper fields for him on Australian wickets. Which means a few more behind the wickets on the off side.
"That`s probably cost him 30 runs today. Through third man, through third slip. But other than that he`s bowled delightfully well," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Kohli-Dhoni stand keeps India in hunt
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'