Promising Yadav needs a bit of experience: Lawson
Melbourne: Young India pacer Umesh Yadav is very promising and his "old-fashioned side-on" style of bowling will fetch him more wickets in future once he gathers a bit of experience, believes former Australian fast bowler Geoff Lawson.
Yadav was the pick of Indian bowlers as he returned with a three-wicket haul scalping David Warner, Shaun Marsh and Ricky Ponting in the first two sessions on the opening day of the first cricket Test against Australia on Monday.
"He`s a very side-on, old-fashioned fast bowler. That`s why he bowls fast and bowls out-swingers," Lawson told `The Australian`.
"He reminds me of (South African) Vernon Philander only that he bowls quicker than Vernon. But they both get the seam up and bowl out-swingers and Yadav`s doing it at 145, 148 (km/h) sometimes. So if you can do that then you are going to get a lot of good players out."
The 54-year-old former Pakistan coach feels Yadav could have scalped more wickets if a proper field was in place for the tearaway pacer who touched the 150km/h mark today.
"He`s only a young guy. A good, strong guy. So he`s quite promising. He just needs to get a bit more experience behind him," Lawson observed.
"And they`ve got to learn to set some proper fields for him on Australian wickets. Which means a few more behind the wickets on the off side.
"That`s probably cost him 30 runs today. Through third man, through third slip. But other than that he`s bowled delightfully well," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Israeli woman gang-raped in Manali, probe launched
- New protein gives new hope for Alzheimer's cure!
- Android users can now enjoy Prisma app!
- Another setback! Case filed against AAP workers for preventing emergency vehicle's movement
- WATCH: UNPLAYABLE! Have you seen this 'T20 ball of the century' by R Ashwin?