Proteas Bowling Coach Allan Donald says Colombo Test was `best winning save`
Cape Town: Allan Donald, the South African cricket team`s bowling coach, has described his side`s remarkable defiance during the Test match played against Sri Lanka at the Sinhalese Sports Club in Colombo as the best "winning save" he had ever experienced.
Donald said that it was even better than the extraordinary escape in Adelaide in 2012 when Faf du Plessis batted for 466 minutes to deny Australia an almost certain win.
Sport24 quoted Donald, as saying that it was a tougher and better match saving effort than Adelaide.
South Africa survived for 111 overs to score 159 for eight, as Hashim Amla (25 off 159 balls), Quinton de Kock (37 off 92 deliveries), Vernon Philander (27 not out off 98 balls) and AB de Villiers (12 off 67 balls) played with steely determination to frustrate Sri Lanka in the second and final test in Colombo.
Consequently, South Africa won the series 1-0, their first Test win in Sri Lanka in 21 years.
In Adelaide, Faf du Plessis faced 376 balls and AB de Villiers played for 246 minutes to help South Africa reach 248 for eight in 148 overs to draw the match against the Australians.
Donald said to stave off the challenge posed by Sri Lanka`s world-class spinners Rangana Herath and Dilruwan Perera on a pitch where the ball was turning almost square out of the rough was simply an amazing effort.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference