Proteas Bowling Coach Allan Donald says Colombo Test was `best winning save`
Cape Town: Allan Donald, the South African cricket team`s bowling coach, has described his side`s remarkable defiance during the Test match played against Sri Lanka at the Sinhalese Sports Club in Colombo as the best "winning save" he had ever experienced.
Donald said that it was even better than the extraordinary escape in Adelaide in 2012 when Faf du Plessis batted for 466 minutes to deny Australia an almost certain win.
Sport24 quoted Donald, as saying that it was a tougher and better match saving effort than Adelaide.
South Africa survived for 111 overs to score 159 for eight, as Hashim Amla (25 off 159 balls), Quinton de Kock (37 off 92 deliveries), Vernon Philander (27 not out off 98 balls) and AB de Villiers (12 off 67 balls) played with steely determination to frustrate Sri Lanka in the second and final test in Colombo.
Consequently, South Africa won the series 1-0, their first Test win in Sri Lanka in 21 years.
In Adelaide, Faf du Plessis faced 376 balls and AB de Villiers played for 246 minutes to help South Africa reach 248 for eight in 148 overs to draw the match against the Australians.
Donald said to stave off the challenge posed by Sri Lanka`s world-class spinners Rangana Herath and Dilruwan Perera on a pitch where the ball was turning almost square out of the rough was simply an amazing effort.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city