Proteas Bowling Coach Allan Donald says Colombo Test was `best winning save`
Cape Town: Allan Donald, the South African cricket team`s bowling coach, has described his side`s remarkable defiance during the Test match played against Sri Lanka at the Sinhalese Sports Club in Colombo as the best "winning save" he had ever experienced.
Donald said that it was even better than the extraordinary escape in Adelaide in 2012 when Faf du Plessis batted for 466 minutes to deny Australia an almost certain win.
Sport24 quoted Donald, as saying that it was a tougher and better match saving effort than Adelaide.
South Africa survived for 111 overs to score 159 for eight, as Hashim Amla (25 off 159 balls), Quinton de Kock (37 off 92 deliveries), Vernon Philander (27 not out off 98 balls) and AB de Villiers (12 off 67 balls) played with steely determination to frustrate Sri Lanka in the second and final test in Colombo.
Consequently, South Africa won the series 1-0, their first Test win in Sri Lanka in 21 years.
In Adelaide, Faf du Plessis faced 376 balls and AB de Villiers played for 246 minutes to help South Africa reach 248 for eight in 148 overs to draw the match against the Australians.
Donald said to stave off the challenge posed by Sri Lanka`s world-class spinners Rangana Herath and Dilruwan Perera on a pitch where the ball was turning almost square out of the rough was simply an amazing effort.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why