Proteas coach Domingo defends side`s `short-ball` strategy despite Pak lead in first Test
Johannesburg: South African head coachRussell Domingo has defended his side`s short-ball strategy, which the Pakistan batsmen exploited in good batting conditions in the first of the two Tests in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to surge to a 14-run first innings lead.
Although Pakistan is firmly in control after posting 263 for 3 on the second day of the first Test, however Domingo backed his side to bounce back from this position like previous occasions to defend their world number one ranking and limit the damage in terms of Pakistan`s first innings lead
According to Sport24, Domingo insisted that it is necessary to target sub-continent sides like India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka with short-pitched bowling, adding that it has always been part of the bowling make-up of South African attacks.
However, Domingo admitted that they might have `overcooked` their short-bowling strategy a bit against Pakistan in the first Test, although he added that despite Pakistan`s control, South Africa will continue with the technique and hopefully regain control of the Test.
Stating that the new ball will be crucial on the morning of the third day of the Test, Domingo also said that their focus would be placed on nipping out some wickets with the new ball and limiting Pakistan`s lead to somewhere between 80 and 120 runs in order to give themselves a chance of turning their fortunes around.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!