Proteas coach Kirsten backs Kallis to play in ICC Champions Trophy
Johannesburg: South African all-rounder Jacques Kallis is likely to return to the one-day team for the ICC Champions Trophy event, which is to be held in England in June.
According to coach Gary Kirsten, although Kallis will not play one-day cricket anymore because the team management values him in Test matches, they reserve the right to pick him for certain tournaments, adding that the ICC Champions Trophy is one such tournament.
Kirsten revealed after the one-day series loss to New Zealand in January this year that he was in discussions with Kallis, and after Sunday``s series win over Pakistan, the coach said talks are still ongoing and Kallis is being persuaded.
According to Kirsten, Kallis, who wants to play in the 2015 World Cup, has enough international experience to slot back into the starting XI immediately. Kallis has not played a one-day international since February 2012 and is no longer available for bilateral one-day series but, may be back in contention for ICC tournaments, as he did for the World Twenty20 last September.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi