'Proteas need to stop playing around with ODI team for betterment'
Johannesburg: South Africa should stop playing around with its one-day squad for its betterment ahead of its series against Pakistan, starting on March 10 at Bloemfontein, according to cricket writer, Rob Houwing.
"South Africa, needing to firm up their plans fairly swiftly for the ICC Champions Trophy in mid-year, cannot afford to experiment too much more as they embark on the five-match one-day international series against Pakistan this weekend," Houwing wrote in his column for Sport24.
"If the Protease`` Twenty20 brew seems in a fairly alarming state of uncertainty and instability, a greater sense of continuity is arguably required at 50-overs level over the next two or three weeks if they are to be capable of mounting a cohesive, serious challenge in the closing edition of the Champions Trophy," he added.
"So it is difficult to imagine the team`s brains trust not trying to assemble something as close as possible to a desired "first team" during the contests against the Pakistanis," he further wrote.
Houwing added: "South Africa has a 15-player squad for this particular series, but it may already be too late to fiddle too greatly with combinations."
"That said, a delicate balance may have to be struck because they are sure to be tempted, for instance, to gauge at some point how Test debut bowling sensation Kyle Abbott might fare in maiden ODI activity," he further said.
"They will also be mindful of the fact that the resting, veteran all-rounder Jacques Kallis and (if fit by then) middle-order batsman and useful "offie" JP Duminy are almost certain to be included for the trip to the UK in early June," he concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi