Proteas take to mountains for team building exercise
Johannesburg: The South African cricket team will undergo a four-day team-building exercise in Switzerland to help them cope with the pressure of 13 weeks away from home.
Embarking on his toughest assignment since taking over the reins as head coach, Gary Kirsten decided to work on the mental toughness of his players ahead of the tour.
“We’ve got a full itinerary ahead of us, starting next week and carrying on until April next year,” said team manager Mohammed Moosajee.
“We will be in the UK for 10 weeks, immediately followed by the ICC World Twenty20 in Sri Lanka, for three weeks afterwards. Gary (Kirsten) thought that we needed to do something different for the team to cope with the mental strains of such a prolonged heavy work load,” a website quoted him, as saying.
The Proteas head to England looking to win the three-match Test series and overtake their hosts into the No1 spot on the ICC Test Rankings.
Based in the village of Chateau d’Oex, which is heavily forested and surrounded by mountains and streams, the team will enjoy physical as well as mental activities facilitated by adventurer Mike Horn.
“Gary has worked with Mike Horn before (when he was coaching India) and thought the players could benefit from a team building exercise. Mike is giving us four days of his time in between his expeditions,” Moosajee said.
“He and Paddy Upton (the Proteas`` mental conditioning coach) will get to his base in Switzerland on Sunday and we leave on Monday to meet them there,” he added.
Some of the activities in store for South African cricketers include glacial walking, cycling through mountains, forest walks, rescue techniques and river rafting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31