Pune, Kochi short payment to come up at BCCI meet
Mumbai: The Cricket Board`s all-powerful Working Committee will discuss the shortfall in the annual payment made by two new Indian Premier League franchises Kochi Tuskers Kerala and Pune Warriors, in its meeting on Wednesday.
The two franchises have paid only 75 per cent of the bid amount due to the BCCI and withheld the remaining 25 per cent as they feel the Board has not fulfilled the clauses in the Invitation to Tender in total with regard to the number of matches this season, according to sources.
As per the clause, each team was to play 18 matches on a home and away basis, but the BCCI reduced the number to 14 per franchise and brought down the total number of matches from 94 to 74, including four in the play-off stage, to avoid player burn-out.
Pune and Kochi franchises were bought from BCCI with successful bids of USD 370 million (Rs 1800 crore) and USD 333 million (Rs 1500 crore) respectively and each year 10 per cent of the amount was to be paid to the BCCI by them.
"They have written to us on the matter and it would be taken up at the Working Committee," said BCCI chief Shashank Manohar.
Apart from this issue, the organisation of the World Cup held jointly by India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, would also come up for discussion, as per indications.
Manohar said a few days ago that the appointment of a new coach for the Indian team to replace successful coach Gary Kirsten, who quit the post after the country`s triumphant run in the World Cup, would not be discussed at the meeting as there was enough time before the squad`s tour to the West Indies in June.