Rahim leads Bangladesh to thrilling win
Dhaka: New captain Mushfiqur Rahim smashed a six off the penultimate ball to lead Bangladesh to a thrilling three-wicket victory over the West Indies in the one-off Twenty20 international on Tuesday.
Bangladesh needed six runs in the last over to achieve a modest 133-run target before wicketkeeper-batsman Rahim (41 not out) hit paceman Ravi Rampaul`s penultimate delivery over mid-wicket for a six.
The hosts were struggling at 93-6 before Rahim steadied the innings with a vital 35-run stand for the seventh wicket with debutant Nasir Hossain, who contributed a 15-ball 18.
Bangladesh required 20 runs in the last two overs, but Rahim and Hossain eased the pressure when they scored 14 in the 19th over bowled by debutant seamer Carlos Brathwaite.
Rahim, who hit two sixes in his 26-ball knock, also upstaged Marlon Samuels, who put in an impressive all-round performance for the West Indies. Samuels top-scored with a 42-ball 58 and took two key wickets with his off-spin.
Samuels removed former skipper Shakib Al Hasan for no score and then had well-set Mohammad Ashraful (24) caught by debutant Anthony Martin to reduce the hosts to 71-5 in the 13th over.
Left-arm spinners Shakib and Abdur Razzak earlier bagged two wickets apiece as Bangladesh restricted the West Indies.
Samuels was the lone batsman to defy Bangladesh`s spin attack, but received little support from the other end. He hit four sixes and two fours before being dismissed in the last over.
Razzak, who opened the attack, finished with 2-27 while Shakib bagged 2-25. Seamer Shafiul Islam took two wickets in the final over to finish with 2-19 off four overs.
The West Indies, put in to bat, lost their way after being comfortably placed at 61-1 in the ninth over. Their slide began with the dismissal of opener Lendl Simmons (23), trapped leg-before by Razzak.
Off-spinner Naeem Islam and seamer Rubel Hossain each took one wicket.
Bangladesh and the West Indies will now play a three-match one-day series, starting in Dhaka on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Triple treat for Shah Rukh Khan fans in 2017 – Details inside
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song