Rahul Dravid to be prosecution witness in IPL spot-fixing case
New Delhi: In an effort to make a strong case in the IPL spot fixing scandal, Delhi Police has roped in Rajasthan Royals captain Rahul Dravid as a prosecution witness in the case.
A team of Special Cell of Delhi Police recorded the statement of the former Indian captain at his Bengaluru residence last Wednesday under section 161 of the CrPC.
Considering Dravid's star status and respectable standing, Delhi Police did not summon him to their Delhi office like Raj Kundra, police said.
According to a senior police officer, Dravid in his statement said that he felt cheated by the conduct of S Sreesanth, Ankeet Chavan and Ajit Chandila when he first heard about the news.
Dravid was asked whether he had any inkling that the three players were under-performing and whether there was any pressure to select them in the final eleven, police said.
"I never had any doubt about these players. I used to select players on a match-to-match basis," Dravid said in his statement.
The officer said that no fingers have been raised against Dravid in this case. They had recorded his statement in order to nail the tainted trio and make a strong chargesheet.
Special Cell also plan to record the statement of Rajasthan Royals' coach Paddy Upton, who is in South Africa.
"Upton could also be made a prosecution witness once he returns to India," the officer said.
Besides Dravid, Rajasthan Royals coach Paddy Upton will also be made a prosecution witness once he returns to India.
Three Rajasthan Royals cricketer – S Sreesanth, Ajit Chandila and Ankeet Chavan – were arrested by Delhi Police on charges of spot-fixing.
The former India captain has expressed his sadness over the entire issue saying he was unaware of the scandal and termed it as a tough phase for his IPL team.
Delhi Police is set to file a charge sheet that includes the name of underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, Chota Shakeel among others in the spot-fixing scandal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu