Rain play spoilsport as SA settle for draw against NZ in 1st Test
Heavy overnight rain and persistent showers throughout Sunday washed out the final day`s play of the first Test between South Africa and New Zealand at University Oval in Dunedin.
The match was officially declared a draw and ended South Africa`s hopes of taking the top Test ranking from England. The Proteas had to sweep the series 3-0 to give them any chance of taking over the number one spot.
No play was possible in the morning session, which had been scheduled to start at 1000 local (2100 GMT), and umpires Aleem Dar and Billy Doctrove decided there was no chance of any play after the scheduled lunch break had been taken.
Ground staff had said that it would take about two hours to get the ground ready for play once it had stopped raining.
The match had been slightly tipped in South Africa`s favour as New Zealand were looking for a record 401 runs to win.
Captain Ross Taylor and Brendon McCullum had kept New Zealand`s slim hopes of securing an unlikely victory alive as they had reached 137 for two at the close of play on Saturday.
McCullum was 58 not out and Taylor on 48 not out and were the key wickets for the South Africans to capture if they wanted to push for victory.
South Africa captain Graeme Smith had declared their second innings on 435 for five midway through the second session on Saturday leaving New Zealand a victory target of 401 runs.
Only four sides have scored more than 400 runs to win a test match when batting fourth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?