Rajkot Gujarat Lions: 5 things you must know about IPL's new team
Suresh Raina will lead Gujarat Lions while Brad Hodge has been appointed as coach.
New Delhi: In an event in the national capital on Tuesday, Indian Premier League's new franchise Rajkot unveiled its team jersy and also announced their skipper, coach.
The team already has five world class players in its squad and here are five things you must know about this new franchise:
1) The Rajkot-based franchise is owned by mobile manufacturing company Intex.
2) Intex owner Keshav Bansal had the second-lowest bid during the team auction at Rs -10 crore, as a result of which they didn't have the right to pick the first player at the players draft held on December 15 last year. The opportunity was given to Pune franchise (Rising Pune Giants), who expectedly picked MS Dhoni, who is also their skipper for the next two seasons.
3) Suresh Raina, who is India's best batsman in T20 cricket, will lead Gujarat Lions and he was the first player to be picked at player draft by Rajkot.
4) Australia's T20 specialist Brad Hodge has been roped in as the coach of Rajkot.
5) The think tank also picked Ravindra Jadeja, Brendon McCullum, James Faulkner and Dwayne Bravo at the player draft.