Ramnaresh Sarwan named Leicestershire skipper
Leicester: Out-of-favour West Indies batsman Ramnaresh Sarwan has been appointed Leicestershire`s four-day captain for the upcoming English county season.
The 32-year-old, who has not played for the West Indies in a year-and-a-half, will replace former Test seamer Matthew Hoggard.
"I`ve really enjoyed working with Matthew over the past three years, especially during our successful T20 campaign," Leicestershire head coach Phil Whitticase said Friday.
"It is important for everyone to get behind Ronnie as we look to take the Club forward."
Hoggard added: "I have enjoyed being captain over the past three years but I feel that it is the right time to hand over the reins."
Sarwan debuted for Leicestershire last season, scoring 941 runs at an average of 40.91 as the club finished seventh of nine teams in Division Two.
He led the club on a few occasions while Hoggard was injured, and proved a success with the players on and off the field.
Sarwan, a former Guyana and West Indies skipper, is a vastly experienced player, having played 87 Tests and 173 One-Day Internationals. However, his last eight Tests innings have yielded just 83 runs, following on from a modest World Cup.
He subsequently criticised "certain individuals" in the West Indies management for damaging his self confidence.
Sarwan made himself available for the just concluded Bangladesh tour but was overlooked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai