Ramnaresh Sarwan named Leicestershire skipper
Leicester: Out-of-favour West Indies batsman Ramnaresh Sarwan has been appointed Leicestershire`s four-day captain for the upcoming English county season.
The 32-year-old, who has not played for the West Indies in a year-and-a-half, will replace former Test seamer Matthew Hoggard.
"I`ve really enjoyed working with Matthew over the past three years, especially during our successful T20 campaign," Leicestershire head coach Phil Whitticase said Friday.
"It is important for everyone to get behind Ronnie as we look to take the Club forward."
Hoggard added: "I have enjoyed being captain over the past three years but I feel that it is the right time to hand over the reins."
Sarwan debuted for Leicestershire last season, scoring 941 runs at an average of 40.91 as the club finished seventh of nine teams in Division Two.
He led the club on a few occasions while Hoggard was injured, and proved a success with the players on and off the field.
Sarwan, a former Guyana and West Indies skipper, is a vastly experienced player, having played 87 Tests and 173 One-Day Internationals. However, his last eight Tests innings have yielded just 83 runs, following on from a modest World Cup.
He subsequently criticised "certain individuals" in the West Indies management for damaging his self confidence.
Sarwan made himself available for the just concluded Bangladesh tour but was overlooked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah