Ramnaresh Sarwan named Leicestershire skipper
Leicester: Out-of-favour West Indies batsman Ramnaresh Sarwan has been appointed Leicestershire`s four-day captain for the upcoming English county season.
The 32-year-old, who has not played for the West Indies in a year-and-a-half, will replace former Test seamer Matthew Hoggard.
"I`ve really enjoyed working with Matthew over the past three years, especially during our successful T20 campaign," Leicestershire head coach Phil Whitticase said Friday.
"It is important for everyone to get behind Ronnie as we look to take the Club forward."
Hoggard added: "I have enjoyed being captain over the past three years but I feel that it is the right time to hand over the reins."
Sarwan debuted for Leicestershire last season, scoring 941 runs at an average of 40.91 as the club finished seventh of nine teams in Division Two.
He led the club on a few occasions while Hoggard was injured, and proved a success with the players on and off the field.
Sarwan, a former Guyana and West Indies skipper, is a vastly experienced player, having played 87 Tests and 173 One-Day Internationals. However, his last eight Tests innings have yielded just 83 runs, following on from a modest World Cup.
He subsequently criticised "certain individuals" in the West Indies management for damaging his self confidence.
Sarwan made himself available for the just concluded Bangladesh tour but was overlooked.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy