Ranatunga condemns charges of match fixing against him
Colombo: Former World Cup winning Sri Lanka captain Arjuna Ranatunga on Wednesday condemned the government for dragging his name in match-fixing scandal following accusations by an Indian bookmaker.
"I condemn the use of a statement made by a bookmaker to slander my name and that of Sri Lanka cricket after all we had done to bring dignity to the country", Ranatunga, now an opposition leader, told the Sri Lanka parliament on Wednesday.
Ranatunga was responding to statements made in the parliament last week by former sports minister Gamini Lokuge and government parliamentarian Tilanga Sumathipala, who had accused him and Aravinda de Silva of allegedly receiving USD 15,000 to fix matches.
Sumathipala said that the Indian bookmaker`s name had figured in the statement made by former South African captain Hansie Cronje during his confession.
Sumathipala said he as the then chief of Sri Lanka Cricket had received a report which had the names of Ranatunga and de Silva.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hot alert! Shruti Hassan looks incredibly sexy on the cover of GQ magazine – See pic
- Awwdorable! Salman Khan shares picture of mother Salma and baby Ahil
- Look what Ranveer Singh is doing for ‘Befikre’
- Premier League: Leicester City clinch historic title after Eden Hazard`s stunning late goal vs Tottenham Hotspur
- EPL: Jamie Vardy, Riyad Mahrez and other key players who played major roles in Leicester City`s title success