Ranatunga hails Sri Lanka women`s cricketers
Colombo: Sri Lanka`s World Cup winning skipper Arjuna Ranatunga has applauded the country`s women`s world cup team, stating that they were an example for their male counterparts.
Sri Lankan eves came up with some giant-killing efforts in the ongoing ICC Women`s World Cup in Mumbai, where they defeated defending champions England and the formidable hosts India to make it to the Super Six stage of the tournament.
"The women`s team is an example for the men`s team and their senior players` commitment is a lesson to some senior players in the men`s team," Ranatunga said.
"They have beaten England and India when no one gave them any chance," he added.
Ranatunga was also all praise of the women`s team captain Shashikala Siriwardene.
"Captain Siriwardene has been excellent in her leadership," he said.
Meanwhile, `The Island` newspaper today highlighted the financial contrast between the men`s and women`s players.
A story captioned `Cricket`s double standards`, which carried photographs of Mahela Jayawardene and Siriwardene, stated that while men get USD 3500 per ODI, the women get only a paltry USD 100.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'