Ranji Trophy final: Saxena double propels Rajasthan to 404/2
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Chennai: Opener Vineet Saxena hit an unbeaten career-best double ton to propel Rajasthan to 404/2 at stumps on Day 2 of the Ranji Trophy final against Tamil Nadu at MA Chidambaram stadium on Friday.
Saxena remained unbeaten on 207 while Robin Bist was not out on16 when stumps were drawn for Day 2.
Like Day 1, Rajasthan continued to frustrate the Tamil Nadu bowlers on Day 2, scoring at snail’s pace but somehow ensured that they did not lose too many wickets which can be a deciding factor in their title defence.
But all credit should go to Saxena for the patience he displayed throughout the two days of play. He batted and batted, irritated the oppositions, tiring them down but refused to throw his wicket away.
He registered his maiden double century when he hit a four off Yo Mahesh. Saxena’s double ton came off 524 balls with 25 fours and a six.
Skipper Hrishikesh Kanitkar also joined the run-feast, scoring a fluent 50 off 104 balls. His 104-ball knock gave a much needed fillip to the Rajasthan innings which was going on snail’s pace.
Rajasthan lost their second wicket when Sunny Gupta removed Kanitkar immediately after tea break for 67. Kanitkar’s knock came off 146 balls with 7 fours.
Despite losing Chopra (94) in the morning session, Rajasthan went steady in the first session. At lunch, they were 272/1.
Rajasthan batsmen again dominated the post lunch session as they took their team’s total past 350 runs. At tea on Day 2, the defending champions were 361/1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly