Ranji Trophy final: Saxena double propels Rajasthan to 404/2
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Chennai: Opener Vineet Saxena hit an unbeaten career-best double ton to propel Rajasthan to 404/2 at stumps on Day 2 of the Ranji Trophy final against Tamil Nadu at MA Chidambaram stadium on Friday.
Saxena remained unbeaten on 207 while Robin Bist was not out on16 when stumps were drawn for Day 2.
Like Day 1, Rajasthan continued to frustrate the Tamil Nadu bowlers on Day 2, scoring at snail’s pace but somehow ensured that they did not lose too many wickets which can be a deciding factor in their title defence.
But all credit should go to Saxena for the patience he displayed throughout the two days of play. He batted and batted, irritated the oppositions, tiring them down but refused to throw his wicket away.
He registered his maiden double century when he hit a four off Yo Mahesh. Saxena’s double ton came off 524 balls with 25 fours and a six.
Skipper Hrishikesh Kanitkar also joined the run-feast, scoring a fluent 50 off 104 balls. His 104-ball knock gave a much needed fillip to the Rajasthan innings which was going on snail’s pace.
Rajasthan lost their second wicket when Sunny Gupta removed Kanitkar immediately after tea break for 67. Kanitkar’s knock came off 146 balls with 7 fours.
Despite losing Chopra (94) in the morning session, Rajasthan went steady in the first session. At lunch, they were 272/1.
Rajasthan batsmen again dominated the post lunch session as they took their team’s total past 350 runs. At tea on Day 2, the defending champions were 361/1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM