Ranji Trophy final: Saxena double propels Rajasthan to 404/2
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Chennai: Opener Vineet Saxena hit an unbeaten career-best double ton to propel Rajasthan to 404/2 at stumps on Day 2 of the Ranji Trophy final against Tamil Nadu at MA Chidambaram stadium on Friday.
Saxena remained unbeaten on 207 while Robin Bist was not out on16 when stumps were drawn for Day 2.
Like Day 1, Rajasthan continued to frustrate the Tamil Nadu bowlers on Day 2, scoring at snail’s pace but somehow ensured that they did not lose too many wickets which can be a deciding factor in their title defence.
But all credit should go to Saxena for the patience he displayed throughout the two days of play. He batted and batted, irritated the oppositions, tiring them down but refused to throw his wicket away.
He registered his maiden double century when he hit a four off Yo Mahesh. Saxena’s double ton came off 524 balls with 25 fours and a six.
Skipper Hrishikesh Kanitkar also joined the run-feast, scoring a fluent 50 off 104 balls. His 104-ball knock gave a much needed fillip to the Rajasthan innings which was going on snail’s pace.
Rajasthan lost their second wicket when Sunny Gupta removed Kanitkar immediately after tea break for 67. Kanitkar’s knock came off 146 balls with 7 fours.
Despite losing Chopra (94) in the morning session, Rajasthan went steady in the first session. At lunch, they were 272/1.
Rajasthan batsmen again dominated the post lunch session as they took their team’s total past 350 runs. At tea on Day 2, the defending champions were 361/1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed