Ranji Trophy: Saxena misses double ton by 6 runs
Indore: Opening batsman Jalaj Saxena missed out on what could have been his maiden first-class double ton by just six runs as Madhya Pradesh piled on a massive 619 for 8 declared in their first innings on the second day of their Ranji Trophy match against Saurashtra here on Sunday.
Saxena, who resumed the day on 157, was out for 194 which he made from 302 balls with the help of 27 fours and two sixes at the team score of 397 for three.
Mohnish Mishra then took the centrestage as he plundered runs with some delightful strokes at a great pace. He remained not out on 158 when the innings was declared on 619 for 8. Mishra faced 207 deliveries and hit 16 fours and four sixes during his unbeaten knock. With wicketkeeper-batsman Naman Ojha`s 154 yesterday, three Madhya Pradesh batsmen hit centuries in their innings.
Madhya Pradesh resumed the second day on 342 for 2, with Saxena unbeaten on 157, along with Mohnish Mishra on 6. The pair added 55 more before Saxena fell just six runs shy of what would have been his maiden first-class double century when he was caught by Bhushan Chauhan off the bowling of Jaydev Unadkat.
This brought captain Devendra Bundela to the crease, and together with Mishra, was able to put on 70 runs for the fourth wicket. With Bundela out on 25, Mishra enjoyed a 51-run stand with Anand Bias, who scored 39.
For Saurashtra, Jaydev Unadkat and Kamlesh Makvana grabbed two wickets each while Abhishek Bhatt and Nayan Doshi took a wicket apiece.
Saurashtra had 15 overs at the end of the day and the openers did the needful, putting on 49, with Chirag Pathak and Bhushan Chauhan not out on 24 and 13 respectively.
The visitors now trail by 570 runs in their first innings with all the wickets intact.
Madhya Pradesh 1st Innings: 619 for 8 dec (Jalaj 194, Mohnish Mishra 158, Naman Ojha 154).
Saurashtra 1st Innings: 49 for 0 (Chirag Pathak batting 24, Bhushan Chauhan batting 13).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday