Rape charges against England cricketer, teammate dropped
London: Allegations against an England cricketer and his teammate, accused of raping a woman in the West Indies have been dropped.
Adam Wheater, who played for England’s under-19 team and David Maters were on a tour of West Indies with Essex county side when they were arrested in Barbados after a British woman reported she had been raped by them on a boat, a daily reports.
The alleged attack is understood to have taken place near the Coconut Court Beach Hotel, in Christ Church, on March 24, the day before the team flew home.
“She was an English visitor. As a result the men were arrested and charged the following day and taken to court where they appeared before a magistrate. The victim also appeared, but refused to give evidence and the case was dismissed,” Barbados Police spokesman O’Neal Small was quoted, as saying.
Both men have since returned to Britain.
“Adam Wheater and David Masters were arrested and sought consular help. There are now no charges against them,” A Foreign Office spokeswoman said.
Wheater, who is now 21, is a promising player widely tipped as a future star of the senior England cricket team. The right-handed wicket keeper played for the England Under-19s on a tour of South Africa in early 2009.
“It was a nightmare. It is a load of rubbish anyway. I don’t want to talk about it,’ Wheater said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum