Rape charges against England cricketer, teammate dropped
London: Allegations against an England cricketer and his teammate, accused of raping a woman in the West Indies have been dropped.
Adam Wheater, who played for England’s under-19 team and David Maters were on a tour of West Indies with Essex county side when they were arrested in Barbados after a British woman reported she had been raped by them on a boat, a daily reports.
The alleged attack is understood to have taken place near the Coconut Court Beach Hotel, in Christ Church, on March 24, the day before the team flew home.
“She was an English visitor. As a result the men were arrested and charged the following day and taken to court where they appeared before a magistrate. The victim also appeared, but refused to give evidence and the case was dismissed,” Barbados Police spokesman O’Neal Small was quoted, as saying.
Both men have since returned to Britain.
“Adam Wheater and David Masters were arrested and sought consular help. There are now no charges against them,” A Foreign Office spokeswoman said.
Wheater, who is now 21, is a promising player widely tipped as a future star of the senior England cricket team. The right-handed wicket keeper played for the England Under-19s on a tour of South Africa in early 2009.
“It was a nightmare. It is a load of rubbish anyway. I don’t want to talk about it,’ Wheater said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark