Razzaq left out of Pakistan`s Hong Kong Super Sixes squad
Lahore: Pakistani selectors on Monday left out experienced allrounder Abdul Razzaq from a seven-member squad to be captained by wicketkeeper batsman Kamran Akmal for the Hong Kong Super Sixes tournament to be held later this month. Razzaq, who has been issued a showcause notice for making negative remarks about the national T20 captain Mohammad Hafeez, was initially considered to be a certain selection for the squad.
But on Monday, the selectors, apparently on the instructions of PCB, did not consider him for the tournament to be held on October 27 and 28. Razzaq created controversy by blaming the captain for his exclusion from the World Twenty20 semi-final against Sri Lanka which Pakistan lost by 16 runs, describing the decision as "illogical and taken only by Hafeez".
Besides Kamran, the squad includes his brother Umar, Tanvir Ahmed, Ovais Zia, Hammad Azam, Junaid Khan and leg-spinner Yasir Shah. The selectors also ignored another seasoned all-rounder Shoaib Malik and dashing opener Imran Nazir for the tournament, though both performed well last year in the same event taking the team to the final.
"Razzaq`s selection is obviously not on the cards now as he is facing disciplinary proceedings over his remarks. He will only be cleared for national selection once the board looks at his reply and decides next line of action," a board official said.
According to sources close to the allrounder, Razzaq had sent his response to the board`s notice and in it has apologised for his remarks. "Razzaq has apologised for his remarks and said he did not mean to offend anyone and had said things in general terms and got emotional," a source said.
Razzaq also maintained in his reply that he has no personal grievances or problems with Hafeez. The source said that Razzaq had also said that Hafeez was a good friend of his and he would not give him a chance to complain again.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what