RCA polls: SC to decide on Lalit Modi`s fate today
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Supreme Court will on Tuesday declare the results of the Rajasthan Cricket Association (RCA) elections held recently in which former Indian Premier League (IPL) czar Lalit Modi has also contested for its presidential post.
The declaration of the results have already got postponed three times in the past.
Earlier, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) had said that Modi was a clear winner of the RCA election results, even before the official announcement from the apex court. The cricket board said that Modi had won 26 of 33 votes but requested the Supreme Court to not officially open the result.
However, the Supreme Court on January 27 adjourned the hearing and delayed the announcement of the polls. A bench of Justice Anil R Dave and Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar, which was to open the envelope that contained the results and the report of Justice NM Kasliwal, under whose supervision the polls were held, said the court would open it on March 4.
The RCA chief Kishore Rungta and the BCCI had already filed a Special Leave Petition opposing Modi`s return as RCA president.
As cricket`s apex body, the BCCI urged the apex court to hear their petition before opening the envelope and declaring the result. But the court said it would first see the results and if Modi wins, then before declaring the results, it would hear the BCCI otherwise there would be no need.
As the BCCI counsel pressed for the board`s plea to be heard, the court wondered if Modi was so powerful that he would certainly get elected. The RCA election courted controversy after Modi joined the race for the post of the president of the state`s cricketing body.
The BCCI in September 2013 had imposed a life ban on Modi for alleged irregularities when he headed the IPL from 2008 to 2010. The RCA elections were held Dec 19, 2013, under the watch of the apex court-appointed former judge NM Kasliwal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'