RCA polls: SC to decide on Lalit Modi`s fate today
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Supreme Court will on Tuesday declare the results of the Rajasthan Cricket Association (RCA) elections held recently in which former Indian Premier League (IPL) czar Lalit Modi has also contested for its presidential post.
The declaration of the results have already got postponed four times in the past.
Earlier, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) had said that Modi was a clear winner of the RCA election results, even before the official announcement from the apex court. The cricket board said that Modi had won 26 of 33 votes but requested the Supreme Court not to officially open the result.
Present RCA chief Kishore Rungta and the BCCI had already filed a Special Leave Petition opposing Modi`s return as RCA president.
The BCCI had urged the apex court to hear their petition before opening the envelope and declaring the result. But the court said it would first see the results and if Modi wins, then before declaring the results, it would hear the BCCI otherwise there would be no need.
As the BCCI counsel pressed for the Board`s plea to be heard, the court wondered if Modi was so powerful that he would certainly get elected. The RCA election courted controversy after Modi joined the race for the post of the president of the state cricket body.
The BCCI, in September 2013, had imposed a life ban on Modi for alleged irregularities when he headed the IPL from 2008 to 2010. The RCA elections were held on Dec 19, 2013, under the watch of the apex court-appointed former judge NM Kasliwal.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25