Ready to support cricket in Nepal: Indian envoy
Kathmandu: Indian Ambassador to Nepal, Ranjit Rae, has promised that India is ready to assist in the development of cricket in Nepal.
Welcoming teams from Nepal, Singapore and India, the Ambassador hosted a dinner at a five star hotel here and offered help to the Nepali cricket team.
A panel discussion on “Future of Cricket in Nepal” between groups of experts was also organised on the occasion.
Nepal coach Pubudu Dassanayake, captain Paras Khadka, Amrit Mathur, who is advisor to the Indian sports ministry and Amir Akhtar, the organiser of “Journey to World Cup” 50-over tournament, participated in the discussion where ideas for cricket`s growth in Nepal were exchanged.
"We are ready to extend succour to Nepali cricket," said ambassador Rae.
Mathur, who is also an international consultant to Nepal`s Cricket Association (CAN), said the time has come for the country to chart a road map for the sport`s development.
"Let`s come up with a two-year plan first. Then gradually we can develop a ten-year roadmap for future development," said Mathur.
After Nepal qualified for the T20 World Cup to be held in Bangladesh next year, a series of tournaments are underway in Kathmandu with teams from India and Singapore participating. Nepal`s team will be leaving for India soon to play friendly matches.
Nepal captain Khadka expressed the desire to play for an Indian club. "If we have opportunity to play cricket in an Indian club, it will uplift our performance," said Khadka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part IV
- Chennai: Woman Infosys employee stabbed to death at railway station
- As NSG rejects India's membership bid, MEA says 'one country' persistently created procedural hurdles
- I-League: Salgaocar FC, Sporting Clube de Goa withdraw, to be absent from this season's roster
- AAP vs Centre: Home Ministry returns 14 Bills of Delhi govt, Kejriwal targets Modi
- AIR to launch channel for cross-border listeners
- Golfer Vani Kappor grabs her 5th title of the season