Rehman threatens to sue Sarfaraz for defaming him
Lahore: Former cricketer Ata-ur-Rehman, who was the main character in the judicial inquiry in match-fixing allegations in the Pakistan team 12 years back, has threatened to sue ex-pacer Sarfaraz Nawaz for constantly defaming him.
Sarfaraz has accused the Pakistan Cricket Board and its director-general cricket, Javed Miandad of promoting former players who have been accused or convicted in match-fixing.
His accusations came after the board recently appointed ex-test spinner, Akram Raza to the umpires panel and also appointed Rehman as coach for the FATA area.
But Rehman said he had already consulted his lawyer to take legal action and send a notice to Sarfaraz for his comments.
"I was never convicted or banned for match-fixing. The Justice Qayyum tribunal recommended a life ban on me for allegedly committing perjury. And after that I fought my case in court got clearance and cleared my name at every level. So how can he make these accusations," he said.
Rehman said he was disturbed by what Sarfaraz had said without realizing the damage and hurt he was causing to the people he was accusing of being corrupt.
"Today I am even cleared by the ICC and there is no ban on me. I sought a job from the PCB because of financial problems. And when I got a job he (Sarfaraz) is trying to destroying my coaching career," he said.
Rehman said he was keen to pursue a coaching career as he felt with his experience and international background he could contribute to Pakistan cricket.
"And I am looking forward to this new task from the PCB as there is lot of untapped talent in the FATA areas," he noted.
Rehman said it was strange that whenever Sarfaraz was given a job by the PCB, he found nothing wrong with their decisions.
"But as soon he is not employed with them he starts finding faults with everyone and stoops low. If he continues to persist making accusations I will face him in court," Rehman added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Nuke-armed Pakistan can 'target' Delhi in 5 minutes, claims AQ Khan
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- Anxious mother fox waits while men work to rescue her trapped cub– Watch the emotional moment!
- Attention Malaika! Hubby Arbaaz Khan is all set to romance Sunny Leone on reel
- Fallujah offensive against Iraq: Five things you need to know about
- Prime Minister wishes Goans on statehood day
- IPL 2016: Hilarious! When Umar Akmal congratulated David Warner-led SRH for winning Pakistan Super League