Renowned TV commentator Benaud pays tribute to ‘gifted colleague’ Greig
Sydney: Legendary television commentator Richie Benaud has paid tribute to former England captain Tony Greig, ‘a gifted colleague and friend’.
The former Australian captain told Channel 9 that the striking thing about Greig was his strength, adding that he was a terrific guy.
According to news.com.au, tributes continued after Greig’s sudden death on Saturday from a heart attack as he fought lung cancer.
Benaud said that Greig loved new technology, he always saw it as being for the people at home, watching it on their televisions, he always put the people at home first.
There was a third team lining up at the anthem ceremony before the third Test between Australia and Sri Lanka at the Sydney Cricket Ground today, the report said.
Tony Greig`s family and the Channel 9 commentary team were invited by opposing captains Michael Clarke and Mahela Jayawardene to join the players and officials on the SCG before play, it added.
His wife Vivian has been overcome by the outpouring of emotion following her husband’s sudden passing.
According to the report, Mark Taylor recalled being overawed when he first joined the commentary team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!