Botham confused over England `crawling into shells` in `celebratory` Boxing Day Test
London: Former England Test captain Sir Ian Botham has expressed his confusion over what England was scared of and why they `crawled into their shells` and refused to come out in the first day of the Boxing Day Ashes Test, which is a game worthy of celebration.
Botham warned England to either take the game to the Australians or risk facing being walked all over again, and believes that the tourists are making their life doubly difficult by giving away that sort of a lead before a ball has been bowled.
According to a leading newspaper, Botham said that at no stage during the opening day at the MCG, did England`s batsmen take the game to the Australians and tried to take the initiative, adding that there was no attempt to wrestle control away from the home team and put their bowlers under pressure,
Botham further said that the match looked as if England was waiting for their wickets to be taken, adding that they were smothered by bowlers who were not even particularly `on song`.
Stating that the timid England batsmen had allowed the not-so-well performing Australians to dictate terms to them, Botham also said that although it is necessary to be cautious, but if the middle and the lower order is exposed to the new ball quickly then there is every chance of damage, which is what happened finally during the day.
Botham also said that Australia has scored at one run per over quicker than England over the course of the series, adding that although it might not seem like a lot, but that is 90 runs per day, or 450 over the course of the match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!