Greg Chappell says sledging battle had little bearing on Oz`s Gabba win
Sydney: Former Australian captain Greg Chappell has said that the much-publicised sledging battle between England and Australia during the Ashes opener in Brisbane has been overplayed.
Australian spin legend Shane Warne has alleged that Anderson threatened to punch George Bailey in the face, prompting Australian captain Michael Clarke to respond with an obscenity, picked up by a stump microphone and broadcast, following which Clarke was fined 20 per cent of his match fee.
However, News.com.au reports that Chappell, Australia`s national talent manager, said that the entire sledging issue is overrated and had little bearing on Australia`s crushing 381-run win at the Gabba at the weekend.
Stating that the game would not be worth watching if the players did not invest any emotion in it, the 87-Test veteran also said that emotions are bound to bubble over in the field every now and then, although he added that such issues should not go over the line.
According to Chappell, there is an exaggeration to the value and the amount of sledging at the Gabba, adding that the game depends on who plays the best on the day regardless of any sledging that may take place.
Chappell also said that unlike the lead-up to the Brisbane Test, where critics overflowed with impressions on both sides, there is a much realistic impression of what sort of series that two rivals have ahead of them, although he believes that Australia will not get too carried away and England will not be too despondent by the Gabba Test results.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range