Speculation rises over Pietersen`s future following `cheap dismissal` in Sydney Test
Sydney: Speculation has reportedly emerged over another high-profile exit after the Ashes finale in Sydney as England batsman Kevin Pietersen was tumbled out cheaply again in the midst of a dismal England batting display on day two at the SCG.
Rumours about the immediate future of veteran Australian wicketkeeper Brad Haddin were put to rest by the man himself on Saturday but with Pietersen the subject lingers as despite his age, he has endured a dismal Ashes campaign and has at times looked disinterested, particularly in the mode of some of his careless dismissals.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, among those making the suggestion was former Australian opener Ed Cowan, who said that he feels Pietersen might be playing his last Test, adding that he would not be surprised if he retired.
The issue of Pietersen`s future is not a new one with former England captain Andrew Flintoff saying last year that he would not be surprised if Pietersen gave the international game away after the back-to-back Ashes and went off to pocket millions in the Indian Premier League and other lucrative Twenty20 competitions around the world.
Former England opener Geoffrey Boycott also queried the commitment of Pietersen, while calling for the head of coach Andy Flower in a newspaper column a fortnight ago.
This is the last Pietersen will be playing in winter, as he is not in England`s one-day or Twenty20 teams for the short-form series that follow, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon