Steve Smith backs reformed Warner as future Oz Test captain
Sydney: Australian Ashes hero Steve Smith has backed his teammate and opener David Warner as a future Test captain.
Ahead of the Boxing Day Ashes Test against England, former Test captain Ian Chappell said that Smith had the makings of captain after his 111 in the first innings in the Perth Test and if captain Michael Clarke calls it quits before the return Ashes series in 18 months, Smith or Warner may get the nod.
According to News.com.au, although Warner was in strife during the ICC Champions Trophy in England after punching England`s Joe Root in a nightclub, Smith said that his teammate has reformed and is now a changed man, and indicated that he is heading in the right direction towards the team`s captaincy.
Smith also said that Warner has been in a `terrific` form all winter, starting with the domestic games before the series.
Meanwhile, all-rounder Smith said he had no plans to alter his style and play with more flair despite the pressure being off with Australia taking an unassailable 3-0 series lead, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- DNA: Is Sanskrit language losing its importance in India?
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand