The Ashes: Clarke says SCG wicket pace-friendly for 5th Test
Sydney: Australia captain Michael Clarke says he`s never seen more grass on a Sydney Cricket Ground pitch and predicts it will suit a pace bowling attack as the home side attempts to complete a 5-0 Ashes sweep over England.
The state of the wicket could see fast bowler James Faulkner included for the test beginning tomorrow, possibly to replace middle-order batsman George Bailey. It would be Australia`s first change to the starting XI in the series.
If Australia doesn`t make any changes, it would be just the fourth team to do that in a five-Test series.
Only England against Australia in 1884-85, South Africa against England in 1905-06 and the West Indies against Australia in 1991 were able to retain the same starting lineup in a five-Test series.
Clarke admitted it would be "extremely romantic" to maintain the same team for the fifth consecutive Test, but said it wouldn`t alter coach Darren Lehmann`s policy to pick the best XI for every match.
"If conditions turn out to be similar to what they have been in the past four Test matches then I think selectors will go that way," Clarke said on Thursday. "But we certainly need to pick our best team to win this Test match."
Bailey has struggled in his debut Test series, averaging 27.20 runs with just one half-century, while
Faulkner is a bowling all-rounder with a first-class bowling average of 142 wickets at 23.
"It might whiten up a little bit but that is as much grass as I have seen on an SCG pitch," Clarke said.
"It feels pretty hard at the moment. Looking at it today I think it will certainly suit the fast bowlers."
The only other likely changes to the Australia team would come from injuries.
All-rounder Shane Watson injured his groin while bowling during the Melbourne Test and fast bowler Ryan Harris has had knee and foot soreness throughout the series. But both bowled in the team`s final net session on Thursday.
"I don`t have any idea of the team at this stage," Clarke said. "We`re waiting to see how the guys pull up tomorrow (Friday) morning."
Clarke says he expects England to make some changes, including recalling dumped wicketkeeper Matt Prior.
"He`s been an important player for England over a long time," Clarke said of Prior. "I think you can see the benefit of (wicketkeeper) Brad Haddin in our team, just with his experience.
"Obviously (Haddin`s) performances have been great but his experience being our vice-captain is crucial to our team and I think Matty`s probably very similar to Brad in regards to his worth to the England team."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi