The Ashes: Darren Lehmann dismisses idea of England peace talks
Sydney: Australia coach Darren Lehmann has rejected the idea of a meeting with England counterpart Andy Flower to set some sledging ground rules ahead of the second Ashes Test in Adelaide.
Flower told British media that the right balance needed to be found with on-field banter after frustrations boiled over on the final day of the first Test in Brisbane, with Australian skipper Michael Clarke fined 20 percent of his match fee.
Clarke was caught by a stump microphone telling pace spearhead Jimmy Anderson to expect a broken arm, with leg spin great Shane Warne claiming it was sparked by the fast bowler threatening to punch George Bailey.
"Now you have brought it up (talking to Lehmann) I`ll have a think about it," Flower said. "A balance has got to be found on the pitch between competitiveness and not overstepping the line."
But Lehmann said talks on the issue were not necessary as he looks to build on Australia`s huge 381-run victory in Brisbane that left England stunned.
"From my point of view, Andy looks after his side and I look after my side, that`s what you do in the game of cricket," he told commercial radio in Adelaide late Tuesday.
"I played cricket with Andy (at South Australia), I talk to him all the time, but at the end of the day, he`s in control of the England cricket team and we`ve got to try and get the Ashes back."
Lehmann said sledging was part and parcel of the game and England needed to live with it.
"They`re all grown men out there, they will work it out," he said. "I just know we copped a lot in England and we didn`t shy away from that. That`s what happens when you go away, so I don`t see what the difference is from England to here.
"We`re on the other end of it, that`s just the way it goes. Both teams play hard and as long as it stays on the field I`m happy with that."
Lehmann also revealed he had a word with David Warner, who publically criticised England batsman Jonathan Trott as "weak" and was blasted by Flower and England captain Alastair Cook for being disrespectful.
Trott, a stalwart of the team, sensationally pulled out of the Ashes series on Monday and returned to England due to a "stress-related illness", widely reported to be depression.
Flower said Warner`s comments were not to blame but Lehmann said he had spoken to the Australian opener.
"We`re all about improving ourselves off the field, so I spoke to him, but that`s a conversation I had with him and the senior players and that is dealt with," he said.
England have a two-day game in the searing heat of Alice Springs against a Chairman`s XI, starting Friday, to fix their batting problems ahead of the second Test in Adelaide from December 5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly