The Ashes: Joe Root dropped for 5th Test; three players make debut for England
Zee Media Bureau/Suyash Srivastava
Sydney: As a result of his poor show in the ongoing Ashes series, England dropped Joe Root from their playing even against Australia for the fifth and the final Test match to be played at the Sydney Cricket Ground beginning from Thursday.
Root – who is hailed by many, as the `next big thing` in English cricket, hasn`t done much with the bat in the series so far. His highest score in the series came in the second innings of the second Test, where the right-hander scored 87 runs. Apart from that knock, Root hasn`t even managed to play an innings of more than 30 runs for his struggling team.
While Root was dropped, England decided to play three debutants – Gary Ballance, Scott Borthwick and Boyd Rankin for the fifth Test. Prior to the match, England skipper Alastair Cook had hinted that the team could see three players making their debut.
On the other hand, Michael Clarke at the toss informed that his side was unchanged for the fifth Test which meant Australia have used just 11 players in all the five matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!