The Ashes: Joe Root dropped for 5th Test; three players make debut for England
Zee Media Bureau/Suyash Srivastava
Sydney: As a result of his poor show in the ongoing Ashes series, England dropped Joe Root from their playing even against Australia for the fifth and the final Test match to be played at the Sydney Cricket Ground beginning from Thursday.
Root – who is hailed by many, as the `next big thing` in English cricket, hasn`t done much with the bat in the series so far. His highest score in the series came in the second innings of the second Test, where the right-hander scored 87 runs. Apart from that knock, Root hasn`t even managed to play an innings of more than 30 runs for his struggling team.
While Root was dropped, England decided to play three debutants – Gary Ballance, Scott Borthwick and Boyd Rankin for the fifth Test. Prior to the match, England skipper Alastair Cook had hinted that the team could see three players making their debut.
On the other hand, Michael Clarke at the toss informed that his side was unchanged for the fifth Test which meant Australia have used just 11 players in all the five matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- Team India to attend preparatory camp under new coach Anil Kumble!
- Like seriously! Marijuana is legal in these 8 countries
- Security alert! Islamic State militants release 'kill list', target 4000 people including 285 Indians
- Nephew Krushna Abhishek apologises to Govinda! – Know why
- 'Tulsidas ji pranam' — Read Bihar's topper Ruby Rai's 'shocking' essay on famous poet