The Ashes: Joe Root dropped for 5th Test; three players make debut for England
Zee Media Bureau/Suyash Srivastava
Sydney: As a result of his poor show in the ongoing Ashes series, England dropped Joe Root from their playing even against Australia for the fifth and the final Test match to be played at the Sydney Cricket Ground beginning from Thursday.
Root – who is hailed by many, as the `next big thing` in English cricket, hasn`t done much with the bat in the series so far. His highest score in the series came in the second innings of the second Test, where the right-hander scored 87 runs. Apart from that knock, Root hasn`t even managed to play an innings of more than 30 runs for his struggling team.
While Root was dropped, England decided to play three debutants – Gary Ballance, Scott Borthwick and Boyd Rankin for the fifth Test. Prior to the match, England skipper Alastair Cook had hinted that the team could see three players making their debut.
On the other hand, Michael Clarke at the toss informed that his side was unchanged for the fifth Test which meant Australia have used just 11 players in all the five matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP