Revenue earned in WC is four times higher than Oly: Dalmiya
Kolkata: The ICC, at its Executive Board Meeting, had outrightly rejected the inclusion of cricket in the Olympic Games as the revenue earned in a tournament like World Cup was four times higher than it, BCCI interim chief Jagmohan Dalmiya informed here on Thursday.
"There were a few issues like you cannot sport commercial logos in Olympics, while there`s no gate money. We generate four times more in a World Cup than in an Olympics," Dalmiya, who represented the Board at the ICC annual conference, told reporters after returning from London.
Asked about the decision, Dalmiya said: "The boundaries in cricket and Olympics are different. We are saying this from our Commonwealth Games experience."
Dalmiya further said participation in Olympics would have clashed with the FTP.
"It would have affected our Future Tour Programme so there was no question of participating in Olympics."
For the inclusion of cricket at the Olympics, the ICC would have had to apply formally with the International Olympic Committee (IOC), and the earliest the game could have been included was at the 2024 Games. ‘
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon