Ricky Ponting calls for veterans fund to keep senior players in Oz state cricket
Sydney: Former Australian Test captain Ricky Ponting has called for a veterans fund to keep senior players such as Mike Hussey playing state cricket in the nation.
According to News.com.au, following the launch of his autobiography At the Close of Play in Sydney on Wednesday, Ponting enthusiastically endorsed an idea from last week`s high-powered batting forum in Sydney.
He said that if it is important that these senior players hang around and teach the younger guys, then there should be a separate pool of money.
Ponting claimed the loss of experience was hurting Australian cricket at all levels down to grade teams, the report said.
He also strongly criticised the quality of state pitches over the past two seasons and claimed Australia`s Centre of Excellence lacked the quality of coaches necessary to make a real difference with the next generation, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!