Ricky Ponting calls for veterans fund to keep senior players in Oz state cricket
Sydney: Former Australian Test captain Ricky Ponting has called for a veterans fund to keep senior players such as Mike Hussey playing state cricket in the nation.
According to News.com.au, following the launch of his autobiography At the Close of Play in Sydney on Wednesday, Ponting enthusiastically endorsed an idea from last week`s high-powered batting forum in Sydney.
He said that if it is important that these senior players hang around and teach the younger guys, then there should be a separate pool of money.
Ponting claimed the loss of experience was hurting Australian cricket at all levels down to grade teams, the report said.
He also strongly criticised the quality of state pitches over the past two seasons and claimed Australia`s Centre of Excellence lacked the quality of coaches necessary to make a real difference with the next generation, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof